Function, Duties and Responsibilities of Initial Board Members
The following description of the function, duties and responsibilities of the Initial Members of this Board is somewhat contingent upon the litigation environment in which this Board may be required to function. This outline is set forth in part for those who may be interested in serving so that they get a sense of the duties, responsibilities and time commitment that may be involved in serving on this Initial Board.
Function: (In the event we have the opportunity to repopulate the SSSC Board)*
(*Note: if a separate non-profit is formed to work with the Receiver, the nature and scope of the duties of this Initial Board is at this time unknown and therefore has not been enumerated in this letter.)
- The Siri Singh Sahib Corporation Board is the highest authority of the Siri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan inspired family of For-profit & Non-Profit organizations. These are Sikh Dharma International, 3HO, KRI, SDEI (Miri Piri Academy), Sikhnet, East-West Tea Company, LLC (formerly Golden Temple of Oregon, LLC) and Akal Security, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Organizations”).
- The SSSC Board acts to ensure that the Siri Singh Sahib’s vision and consciousness permeate all activities of the legacy Organizations.
- The SSSC Board sets goals, provides direction and guidance, and maintains the integrity, projection, and group consciousness of the Organizations.
- As the highest level of leadership, the SSSC board must exemplify the highest values and standards of conduct and consciousness.
Duties and Responsibilities: (In the event we have the opportunity to repopulate the SSSC Board)*
The general responsibilities of the SSSC Board during this period of litigation and transition may include, but are not limited to:
- Taking all steps necessary to secure the tangible and intangible assets of the Organizations.
- Continuing to be engaged in the prosecution and resolution of the on-going litigation, and interfacing with any court appointed receiver and other professionals engaged by him/her.
- Reviewing the status of the Organizations and working with legal and accounting professionals to simplify our Organizational structure and to implement good governance procedures for our Organizations.
- Establishing and/or updating Organization wide reporting and oversight systems, including adopting a conflict of interest policy, instituting checks and balances, manifesting inclusion and transparency where possible, and amending corporate documents where necessary.
- Appointing and supervising an Unto Infinity (UI) Board as necessary
- Establishing the overarching policies within which the Organizations operate.
- Allocating financial resources among the Organizations and working with the Organizations on fundraising.
- Evaluating and/or replacing board members of the Organizations, including representation from the International community
- Reviewing and approving annual goals, operating budgets, and business plans for the Organizations.
- Considering grievances, appeals, and feedback regarding their own decisions or actions as well as those taken by the Organizations.
- Interacting with the 3HO/ Sikh Dharma Community through teaching, traveling, counseling and communicating.
- Other actions deemed necessary or appropriate.
Composition of the Initial Board:
The Initial Board will consist of 17 members:
- 15 elected members; and
- the Siri Sikdar Sahiba; and
- the Bhai Sahiba
- The Chancellor or the Chancellor’s designee, will be required to be present at all meetings of the Initial Board as non-voting legal counsel.
- Board members are unpaid volunteers
- Board members shall be reimbursed for travel, lodging, and meal costs directly related to their responsibilities as Board members (at a rate to be established.)
- This Initial Board will have a reasonable budget to fund these reimbursements.
- This Initial Board will create a budget for the Board, and determine the funding source.
- Board members will be covered by a Directors & Officers (D&O) insurance policy if one is available, and in any event, they will be indemnified to the full extent of the law.
- The Initial Board will have a reasonable budget to engage outside counsel as needed for legal advisement and representation.
- It is initially anticipated that there will be a significant time commitment to serve on this Initial Board. It is reasonable to estimate that it will require a minimum of 6 – 15 hours of service per week.
- It is anticipated that post-litigation this Initial Board will likely meet a minimum of 4 times each year in person and hold monthly telephonic meetings.
- It is anticipated that the initial term of the Initial Board shall be for one (1) to two (2) years. This will be dependent on a variety of factors including but not limited to ongoing appeals and other litigation and court, AG, and/or Receiver oversight of Board activity.
Initial Board Eligibility Requirements
Mandatory Eligibility Requirements
In order to serve on this Initial Board, a person must meet the three following mandatory eligibility requirements:
- A) He or she has been a Minister of Sikh Dharma International in good standing for the years 2011 – 2012 and 2012 – 2013 (a grace period until June 30, 2012 will be given to complete the minister renewal for 2012 – 2013 OR B) He or she is an active Khalsa Council member as of September 2009, and is a Minister of Sikh Dharma International (a grace period will be given for person’s to bring their ministership current through 2012 – 2013.) Excluded are those who no longer hold their ex-officio positions on Khalsa Council, (meaning they were on the Khalsa Council by virtue of their job or position, and they no longer hold that job or position.)
- AND He or she has been an annual donor to Dasvandh or has been a donor to one or more of the Organizations for the prior 2 years.
- AND He or she is a United States citizen (due to certain regulatory requirements.)
(Note: If you are uncertain if you are a Minister in good standing, to get a current Minister Card or to complete your renewal for 2012 – 2013, you may contact Ek Ong Kar Kaur in Los Angeles at: [email protected])
A person who is subject to any one of the below referenced exclusions shall NOT be eligible to serve on the Initial Board.
- Is a threat to the security of the United States or has any foreign interests which conflict with the interests of the United States.
- Has been convicted of or admitted to any felony offense or an equivalent offense in the United States or any other country or is currently charged with or under indictment for any felony offense in the United States or any other country*.(*To be determined by a criminal background check)
- Is now and/or since March 15, 2010 has been a named defendant and/or a director or officer (or spouse of such director or officer) of a defendant entity in the consolidated lawsuits: Khalsa, et al v. Khalsa et al and State of Oregon et al v. Siri Singh Sahib Corp., et al filed in Multnomah County, Case No. 1010-14518, which defendant(s) and defendant entities are:
- Kartar S. Khalsa; Sopurkh Kaur Khalsa; Peraim Kaur Khalsa; Siri Karm Kaur Khalsa; Karam S. Khalsa; Ajeet S. Khalsa, Guru Hari S. Khalsa, Gurudhan S. Khalsa, Robert Ziehl, Unto Infinity, LLC; Siri Singh Sahib Corporation; Golden Temple of Oregon LLC; Golden Temple Management, LLC; Sikh Dharma Stewardship LLC; Sikh Dharma International; KIIT.
Other Terms and Conditions
- A person serving on this Initial Board cannot concurrently serve as a director of any other entity of the Organization, with the exception of ex-officio members (that is, members who are only members due to their office in another entity of the Organization).
- If elected, an Initial Board member has 60 days to resign from another board in order to meet the requirements of section (1) above.
- No individuals related by blood, marriage (including step-relations), or as domestic partners may serve on this Initial Board in concurrent or overlapping terms
There are approximately 160 Ministers of Sikh Dharma International who are eligible to serve on the Initial Board.
Eligible Voters – Consistent with concept of inclusion, consistent with the Judge’s finding regarding standing, and consistent with our Prayer for Relief, the Eligible Voters (“Voters”) will consist of:
- Ministers of Sikh Dharma International in good standing for the year 2011 – 2012 and/or 2012 – 2013
- Active Khalsa Council members (as of Sept. 2009)
- Siblings of Destiny Meeting attendees
- Legal Fund Supporters
Excluded from voting are individuals who meet the “Mandatory exclusions” identified above.
2012 Election Results
There were 510 members of our Sangat who were issued voting credentials and 357 ballots submitted.
The Initial Board consists of the following 15 members, in addition to the Siri Sikdar Sahiba and the Bhai Sahiba:
- SS Gurujodha Singh
- SS Avtar Hari Singh
- SS Gurujot Kaur
- SS Shanti Kaur
- MSS Guru Raj Kaur
- SS Sirivishnu Singh
- SS Guru Amrit Singh
- SS Siri Pritam Kaur
- MSS Krishna Kaur
- SS Jai Singh
- SS Harjot Kaur
- SS Viriam Singh
- MSS Guru Singh
- SS Dharm Singh
- SS Hari Nam Singh
If any of these members are unable to serve, the next ranked candidate will replace them on the Initial Board.
The complete results of the election are as follows:
Based on Judge Roberts’ draft ruling in April, this Initial Board will only have the legal right to work with the Receiver in managing Golden Temple/Yogi Tea, as that is the only asset that is out of control of the UI Board and placed in the hands of the Receiver. This is an important responsibility, as the tea business is a major source of funding for Miri Piri Academy (SDEI), 3HO, KRI, SDI and Sikhnet.